Post by email

If you want to post your views directly on this page,

mailto:smelink.fellows@blogger.com



Friday, April 10, 2009

Disabled, but ready to decide India's future - Kolkata - Cities - The Times of India

Disabled, but ready to decide India's future - Kolkata - Cities - The Times of India: "Sayandeb Banerjee voted in the Assembly polls three years ago, but it was an ordeal. When the wheelchair-bound, 32-year-old reached the north Kolkata polling station with his uncle, there was no one to assist him reach the first-floor booth.

'I sat at the foot of the stairs for 90 minutes but none bothered. Only when I threatened to inform the media did the polling officer requisitioned an ambulance and had me stretchered to the first floor. There, an official applied the indelible ink and then asked my uncle to cast the vote as per my wish. Is this the democracy we are proud of 61 years after Independence?' said Banerjee."

No comments:

Post a Comment